Great Bear Rainforest Agreement

On February 1, 2016, Nature United, along with our First Nations partners, the provincial government, other conservation organizations and the forest industry, celebrated the conclusion of a break-up pact in the Great Bear Rainforest, which ensures long-term conservation and sustainable management in the heart of the Emerald Edge, the world`s largest rainforest. In the late 1990s, the world watched in horror as the old trees of this forest were recorded to make household items such as telephone directories and blankets. We started to convince the big wood and paper companies to insist that their loggers stop the damage. For nearly 20 years, and in February 2016, we sat with First Nations, the forest industry, the B.C. government and partner environmental groups to announce a groundbreaking agreement to sustainably protect 85% of the Great Bear`s forests from industrial logging. The remaining 15% are subject to the highest legal standards for commercial slaughter in North America. First Nations parties to the agreement strengthened their country`s oversight, provided new opportunities for community development, and managed a new forest management model. The temperate tropical forests of the coast are distinguished by their proximity to the sea and mountains. Rain is abundant when the atmospheric current of the ocean`s moist air collides with denbergen. Much of the Pacific coast of North America shares this climate model, including parts of Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregons and Northern California. Since 2006, The Nature Conservancy has focused on strengthening the governance of First Nations communities and the authority of their governments in resource management decisions. In support of the original Great Bear Rainforest agreement, the Conservancy raised $39 million for the creation of the Coastal Opportunity Funds and used an additional $81 million in additional private and public funds to be made available to First Nations communities. This credit is intended to promote economic development and resource management capacity in the region.

Almost all of the 27 First Nations that were part of this agreement have a natural resource management office or a governance system. Many new First Nation companies were also produced as a result of the total investment of $120 million. 2010 / 2011 – B.C government reaches a reconciliation protocol with The Dencoastal First Nations and Nanwakolas Council. One of the results is the increase in their participation in the forestry sector and the protection of cultural and social interests. The Great Bear Rainforest [2][3] is a temperate rainforest on the Pacific coast of British Columbia, Canada. [4] It is part of the largest temperate ecological zone in the Pacific Rainforest, which is the largest temperate rainforest in the world. [3] The Great Bear Rainforest was officially recognized by the B.C. government in February 2016 when it announced an agreement to sustainably protect 85% of the old-growth forest from industrial logging. [6] [7] The forest was added to the Queen`s Commonwealth Canopy in September of the same year.

Temperate rainforests, which cover less than one percent of the world`s land mass, are rare in the world, and today only a few areas are no longer senseless.